Monday, February 13, 2006

Remakes

Recently there have been a number of 70s movie remakes with more on the way. For the summer season we will see "Poseidon" and "Omen" going head to head. Of course special effects are more spectacular now than back then when Irwin Allen ruled the disaster movie genre.

So what is it that makes us redo something old over and over - as I move my thoughts to art. Haven't we seen enough still lifes, figures, landscapes and so on? If you see some abstracts, haven't you really seen everything?

As I look at video clips there are people taking what they see on television and at movie theaters to make there own versions on video. Sometimes these folks manage to do something interesting, but often times their
efforts miss.

There is an amount of comfort in things that are already familiar. However, I do prefer something new - particularly something unexpected.

You know, surprise me for once.

1 comment: